When it comes to tech tools for the business world, I feel conflict. Microsoft and Adobe created great tools. However, I hate feeling beholden to one entity. Now with the shift to subscription models, it feels we’re stuck with whatever price they want charge. So, I feel a need to find alternatives.
There are some key open source tools I use regularly, and recommend. Below is my list:
- Firefox: Browser extraordinaire!
- Gimp: Open Source equivalent of Photoshop, image editing power.
- OpenOffice: Full featured office productivity suite
- Scribus: Desktop Publishing
- Ubuntu: the most user friendly (in my opinion) of the Linux distributions.
Here’s a low cost option Adobe option: CS 2. No longer supported, but available for download. Use at your own risk, of course.
Below are some tools I use to troubleshoot and diagnose issues: