As a former Microsoftie with many friends still there in Redmond, I follow these news stories with intent.
We’ve had a few stories hit the wire the past couple of days:
- Microsoft Is Planning Sales Reorganization Focused on Cloud
- Microsoft reportedly set to lay off thousands as part of massive sales reorganization: From Geekwire
- Internal memo details big Microsoft reorganization, no mention of layoffs
- I can’t imagine that dramatic of a re-org will happen without layoffs.
- With that, it’s hard to see through the fog in the crystal ball on this one, at least as far as layoffs go. I’ve seen Microsoft layoff plenty of people, who then get hired on in other business groups over time. How many of those folks will actually collect unemployment (if any) is hard to gauge.
- It’s nice to see what was called “services” when I worked there getting serious attention.
So, I hope that the drama of this announcement creates little-to-no stress for you, dear reader.